Ras El Hanout is a spice mix from North Africa. It plays a similar role in North African cuisine as garam masala does in Indian cuisine. You can buy it in all major super markets or you can make it yourself.
- 2 tsp Smoked Paprika
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds
- 1/2 tsp Coriander Seeds
- 1 tsp Chilli Flakes
- 1/2 tsp Fennel Seeds
- 1/2 tsp Onion Powder
- 1/2 tsp Pimento Berries
- 1 tsp Turmeric
- 1/2 tsp Cardamom
- 1 tsp Mixed Peppercorns
- 1/2 tsp Rose Petals
- 1/2 tsp Nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp Clove
- 1/2 tsp Star Anise
- Leg or Shoulder of Lamb
- 2 x Red Wine Oak Chunks (ProQ)
- Combine all the rub ingredients to create your Ras El Hanout.
- Put a small amount of oil on your lamb to help the rub stick.
- Rub the Ras El Hanout all over the lamb.
- Get your BBQ setup for indirect cooking around 275F/135C.
- Add your Red Wine Oak Chunks and Smoke the Lamb until it reaches an internal temp of 140F/60C.
- When your Lamb reaches 140F/60C wrap it in foil and continue to cook to 194F/90C.
- Remove the Lamb and allow to rest for about an hour. Keep it wrapped in foil and also put a tea towel over it.
- Enjoy!! Serve with some smokey roast potatoes and a greek salad.